The Wasatch Ultimate Ridge Linkup or “WURL” is an incredible ridge route circumnavigating Little Cottonwood Canyon in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah. The route mainly consists of scrambling, boulder hopping, and a few rugged trails. It is ~36 miles long with ~18kft of elevation gain. Given the recent increase in interest with the route, I’ve created this page in an effort to provide better information about it as well as document successful efforts, worthy attempts, interesting related information, and Fastest-Known-Times (FKTs). Please feel free to comment below so I can make this as accurate as possible.
When I first did it back in 2004 I chose to start with an ascent of Ferguson Canyon. Ascending Ferguson is fantastic and after a few miles you’re in terrain that is peaceful and rarely traveled. The quartzite ridge above Stairs Gulch is truly spectacular and one of the finest places in the Wasatch to watch the sunrise.
There are at least 21 names peaks along the ridge and a handful of unnamed mini-summits. I recommend that those looking for the full experience summit all the peaks indicated in the map below. Note that it the route can be easily exported to a .gpx file.
I recommend continuing north off the summit of Lone Peak for half a mile to ~10,450′ at the notch formed by the impressive Upper Big Willow Cirque wall. Once in the notch, descend east down a steep gully into Bells Canyon. From the bottom of the gully contour over to the reservoir itself or intersect the trail slightly below the reservoir. Then, it’s cruiser trail out to the Bells Canyon Granite Trailhead. Note : Some folks have descended other routes such as Jacob’s Ladder or the Draper Ridge. While legitimate (according to me for what that’s worth), I recommend the Bells Canyon route as it adds to the adventure.
- 8/23/2015 – Alex Honnold – 23 hrs – Instagram post
- 8/9/2015 – Alexis Crellin, Stacey Pearson, Matthew Irving – 26 hrs 25 min
- 6/28/2015 (1) – Jennilyn Eaton, Matt VanHorn – 38 hrs 52 min
- 6/20/2015 – Jared Campbell (w/ Ryan McDermott for a portion) – 19 hrs 49 min – pics
- 9/13/2014 – Spencer Weiler – 27-ish hrs – report
- 9/13/2014 – Court Pace – 26 hrs 5 min
- 9/6/2014 (1) – Jason Dorais, Lars Kjerengtroen, Tom Goth – story and incredible photos
- 9/2013 – Jason Dorais, Noah Howell – 26 hrs 25 min – story – story
- 9/7/2009 – Nic Berry – 17 hr 48 min – story
- 6/30/2012 – Jason Davis (w/ Chris Landers for a portion) – 22 hrs 45 min
- 8/7/2004 – Jared Campbell – 21hrs 30 min – story
- Early 90s – Dave Madera & others (anybody have more detail on this?)
(1) Exited Jacob’s Ladder
- 26 hrs 25 min – Alexis Crellin & Stacey Pearson – 8/9/2015
- 17 hrs 48 min – Nic Berry – 9/7/2009
Noteworthy Attempts and Related Stories
- 9/13/2014 – an unfinished WURL, and the goodness of others – Jennilyn Eaton
- 9/2014 – Lauren Edwards, Anna Freudenberg – 44 hrs
- Lauren and Anna traversed below (and did not summit) Lone Peak
- 4/25/2010 – The Line Has Been Drawn…WURLOS Over – Andy Dorais
- 4/17/2010 – WURLOS Post Morten – Jared Inouye
- 2005 – Perverse Traverse – Mark Twight
Highlight Photos from Various Trips
Question Mark Wall as seen from the summit of Lone Peak